Sunday, December 2, 2012

Christmas is Fast Approaching

With Christmas approaching, our thoughts turn to family, those who are here to celebrate with, and those who are no longer here. Christmas was a special time for both my mother and my father, probably more so for my father. And for this reason, more than thirty years since his passing, we continue to have the same foods for our Xmas Eve family dinner that were his favourite. They include Rolladen (this is still a favourite of everyone), pickled red cabbage, cooked garlic sausage, potato salad and pickled herring. We have added other favourites of ours like brussell sprouts, mashed yams, ham and a salad. Growing up we celebrated Christmas on Christmas Eve but as everyone married and each compromised their family traditions, the celebration was changed to Christmas Day. But in the last 7 or 8 years we have created a new tradition which seems to work for our family. Christmas Eve is celebrated at my house with the whole family attending with the children opening up their gifts from grandparents on this side of the family and from their aunts, uncles and cousins. And this is when we have our traditional Christmas Eve dinner. On Christmas Day each family celebrate Christmas with their spouse's side of the family and I celebrate Christmas Day with one of my sons. In January, 2000, I decided to write letters to my mother, each of my children and to whichever grandchildren were born at that time. I put them into a metal box with the intention of opening the letters in 2020. My mother also wrote letters to my children and her grandchildren as well as one to me. In 2010, I again wrote letters to everyone, adding the grandchildren that had been born since. Also included in my metal time box are the annual family newsletters I write which gives the highlights of the family's activities for the year as well as pictures. Unfortunately, my mother didn't get to read her letter from me. I feel bad about that. At the last family function, I mentioned the letters and asked when the family would like to read their letters from Granny. They all decided on this Christmas Eve. I also asked if anyone wanted to add their own letters to the box to be opened up in 2020. I was glad to hear that several wanted to do this. Christmas definitely is a time to spend with family loved ones and to remember those who are sadly no longer with us.

No comments:

Post a Comment